The Technology Behind Chevrolet Cruze Paint, Bird Poop Tested!

Thread: The Technology Behind Chevrolet Cruze Paint, Bird Poop Tested!

The Technology Behind Chevrolet Cruze Paint, Bird Poop Tested!

ChevroletCruze.net – Beauty may only be skin deep, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy to create. Paint engineers spent more than five years developing each of the exterior colors used on the Chevrolet Cruze. To ensure a beautiful, long-lasting finish, engineers have an array of technologies and tests at their disposal, from an advanced primer coating to bird poop.

“Half of the chemistry applied to a car contributes to its color, luster and appearance,” said Maureen Midgley, executive director of Global Paint & Polymer Engineering at General Motors, “while the other half contributes to its durability, longevity, and the quietness of the ride. Our goal is to combine those materials to create a flawless finish and consistent color that lasts for the life of the car.”

To understand the engineering behind the Cruze exterior appearance, it’s best to start at the end of the paint shop at Lordstown Assembly. A $160 million renovation of Lordstown’s paint facility was completed in late 2005, making it one of the most-advanced paint facilities in the United States.

The two visual layers of paint include a clearcoat top layer that creates the wet, lustrous shine and mirror finish, and the base coat that provides the color pigment and light-reflecting sparkle. Under the visible surface are a crystalline zinc-based conversion coating, an electrodeposition primer, and a powder-primer coat. The powder prime is electrically charged, which makes it cling to the metal body like a magnet. The powder is then “baked” to create a durable smooth surface for painting. This process is more environmentally friendly than traditional liquid primers because it eliminates the need for liquid solvents, and is up to 95 percent efficient.

Before they reach plants like Lordstown, every color finish is subjected to up to 1,825 days of constant exposure in one of the harshest environments on Earth – South Florida.

The same climate that attracts so many tourists to Florida can be a brutal test of paint chemistries. New paints are left out in the Florida elements for five years, testing their resistance to environmental factors, including sunlight, saltwater, heat and humidity, and even bird droppings. These test panels are inspected annually to assess the clarity of the clearcoat, the consistency of the color pigment, and the strength of the bond to the metal below.

“We have panels nearing 10 years of constant exposure,” said Midgley. “It’s remarkable to hold a panel with a painted surface that looks like new, after all that time has passed.”

In addition, paints are subjected to multiple tests which check their resistance to stone chips. One of the most challenging tests uses a “gravel-o-meter” which fires marble-sized rocks as fast as 35 miles per hour. The gravel-o-meter test is used to assess both the visual appearance of stone chips, as well as the risk of corrosion to exposed metal underneath.

The cumulative effect of these efforts is a beautiful finish that will stand the test of time.

“One of my favorite measures of paint quality is looking at your watch reflected in the paint surface,” concluded Midgley. “With Cruze, you will easily be able to tell the time, today and for years to come.”

Source: GM Media Relations

2. Remove Advertisements
    ChevroletCruze.net
    Advertisements

What about the Korean build Cruze , does they have the same quality ? I hope so , because I just bought one .
    Or are European customers lesser valued customers to Chevrolet ?
    (European market uses korean build Cruze !)

We also have the Korean Built Cruze here in Australia (until they start making them out of our Elizabeth Plant next year), and it has had no major issues so far (2.0L Diesel).....

Have seen a few issues for the European ones though, not sure why ?? I would think if you have just bought a new one, then it will be ok. I would say most issues would come out of the 2009 models.

The US version will be better quality I would think, will be like a Series II model Cruze, with all minor defects removed. Will be able to tell by the material inside the cabin, as the Korean made interior is "cheap" hard plastic that does mark easily. Whereas the US Cruze hopefulyl would come with something of more better quality...

If I was anyone wanting to buy a Cruze at the moment I would wait until 2011 for a series II model or alike. Because you would think GM would have to provide the same spec as US is getting around the world..

5. Remove Advertisements
    ChevroletCruze.net
    Advertisements

Unfortunately from my point of view, I would say the rest of the world has been given a Cruze (some places up to 2 years prior) to the US, in order to make sure when it is released into the HUGE market that is the United States all the problems found overseas will have been remedied .........

I do love my Cruze though, and although it did cost around $26,000 all up (with only 6 airbags, no Bluetooth, no fog lights, no leather interior), in respect to purchasing cars, we do get a bit ripped off here in Australia. Especially when the Aussie dollar is running up with the US dollar currently.....